EYEAFRICA TV: Banjul, The Gambia: On his third testimony before the Truth, Reconciliation and Reparations Commission (TRRC) on Monday, former vice chairman of the military junta that overthrew the government of Sir Dawda Kairaba Jawara in The Gambia in July 1994, said the investigations reports against his partner coupist Sanna Sabally, that landed him to jail were a complete fabrication.
Edward Singateh said the reports on Mr Sabally were wrong and does not represent his act and confirmed that he –Singateh- was aware of this but could not do anything about the arrest of both Mr Sabally and Sadibou Hydara.
His Monday testimony made him the first person to appear before the truth-seeking Commission three times in a raw, to explain and answer questions about his participation in the 1994 coup and the alleged killings of some civilians and security officers by the junta.
Earlier last week, Mr Singateh admitted to his attendance in the killing of several soldiers, among them are those who were accused of plotting a coup against his former boss and chairman of the Junta Yahya Jammeh, on November 11, 1994 but denied participating in the killing.
‘I did not do anything at that time but I accept sharing the responsibility. I would like to apologize to Sanna Sabally and this is not the first time I am apologizing to him. I have apologized to him through the Bishop.”
Edward said he didn’t even know the cell where Mr Sabally was in, further denying the allegation of earlier witnesses that he took Sanna to the Mile 2 Central Prison in the capital, Banjul. ‘I would like to tell Sanna that I am sorry. I wish I could tell him in person how sorry I am.”
Singateh said he is completely remorseful of his actions and he can imagine what Mr Sabally went through in the prison.