EYEAFRICA TV: Singapore, Singapore: Singapore’s Ministry of Health (MOH) reported 120 new COVID-19 cases on Sunday, recording its highest daily jump and bringing the total confirmed cases in the city state to 1,309, as officials urged citizens to adhere to strict new measures.
Among the new cases, four are imported cases from overseas, while 116 are local cases who have no recent travel history abroad.
Of the 116 local cases, the MOH is conducting contact tracing for 66 cases and has established links to existing clusters for the other 50 cases.
Earlier in the day, the MOH and the Ministry of Manpower said in a joint statement that transmissions within Singapore’s foreign worker dormitories had continued to rise, and the city state was seeing more confirmed cases and ill workers.
As a result, two dormitories had been declared as isolation areas, with on-site medical support deployed and food and essential supplies provided, according to the statement.
The Singapore Government had announced on Friday that most workplaces will be shut down and many food establishments would be closed for a month as part of the so-called ‘circuit breaker’ measures designed to stop the the spread of COVID-19.
Noting the challenges facing health workers in the country, Health Minister Gan Kim Yong called on citizens to take the pandemic seriously.
“Because they are very stretched, and they are very tired, very exhausted, some of them, and our hearts go out to them. But the best way we can support them, as Minister Lawrence Wong (Minister for National Development) once said, is for us to do our part, take this ‘circuit breaker’ (period) very seriously,” he told reporters at a press conference on Sunday.
Gan also said the Singapore Expo venue was being transferred into a community isolation facility for patients with mild symptoms. The Expo will be the second such facility after the D’Resort NTUC in Pasir Ris was converted late last month, with a capacity for around 500 people.