Gambia COVID-19 Update: 195 People Tested Negative

EYEAFRICA TV: Banjul, The Gambia: Gambia’s corona virus pandemic situation is still on a stable path with no positive case since after the confirmation of the fourth case-patient on March 29.

A 45-day state of public emergency adopted by the National Assembly last week still remain active and several services are ordered to cease operation, including those deemed by the government as non-essential while government scale down its activities.

The health ministry’s director of health promotion and education, Modou Njie, Thursday told journalists at their daily briefing that 195 test results were conducted which were all negative with 253 people who completed quarantine and 233 contacts traced, while 310 people have also completed follow-ups.

“Currently, 39 people are on quarantine in one of the hotels in the Greater Banjul Area and a total of 201 tests were conducted,” he said.

Since the outbreak of the disease in December last year, Gambia registered four cases of the pandemic. The first case is a female Gambian who entered the country from the United Kingdom and the second case is a Bangladeshi man who entered the country from Senegal. He was confirmed to have contracted the virus after his death. Both third and fourth cases are male Gambians. The fourth case entered the country on the same flight with the first case-patient.

Mr Njie said all the six new laboratory tests conducted were negative and over 80 percent of all calls through the 1025 toll free number were received from Western Regions one and two.

“The fourth case is still on admission and responding to treatment no new case has been admitted. All the four confirmed cases from the beginning were imported.”

He said globally, since 31 December 2019 and as of 8 April 2020, a total of 1, 518, 773 cases of coronavirus pandemic, which are in accordance with the applied case definition in the affected countries have been reported. “Of this number, 88, 505 deaths were registered and 330, 589 recovered from the disease. Senegal reordered 244 confirmed cases 113 of them recovered and two deaths.”

SHARE ON

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram

Leave a Reply

avatar
1000
  Subscribe  
Notify of

Related Posts

Eye Africa TV
Scroll to Top