EYEAFRICA TV: Banjul, The Gambia: Confirmation of four cases of coronavirus in neighbouring Senegal has since activated public concerns on the level of preparedness on the side of the Smiling Coast.
This case is a subset of over one hundred thousand recorded cases within two months, a situation the World Health Organisation found worrying.
Communication Officer of the Ministry of Health, Pa Modou Faal told Eyeafrica that the Ebola quarantine centres in 2012 in various health facilities are being reactivated to take care of possible cases of coronavirus.
Transport authorities in Senegal and Gambia struck a deal to resume the free movement of commercial goods and services by the end of this week after about one month of dispute between the two sides.
But Mr Faal assured that the medical check in place at all entry points are enough to prevent the closure of border between Senegal and Gambia as a result of the COVID– 19 epidemic.
He said that health workers have been provided with protective gears, although, the public is limited to application of personal hygiene.
Meanwhile, the world’s epicentre of the coronavirus, China on Tuesday dispensed materialistic support to the Gambia’s Health sector in the effort to prevent the spread of the disease into the West African state.
Of all the cases reported globally so far, 93% are from just four countries with China accounting for eighty thousand cases.
“It’s certainly troubling that so many people and countries have been affected, so quickly,” WHO Director General Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a media briefing on Monday.
Now that the virus has a foothold in so many countries, Dr Ghebreyesus said the threat of a pandemic has become very real.