EYEAFRICA TV: Banjul, THE GAMBIA: Reports emerging from Gambia’s main referral hospital Edward Francis Small Teaching Hospital (EFSTH) has indicated that atleast one out of the two victims of last month Faraba Banta incident who are still admitted at the hospital is in need of overseas treatment.
But last Wednesday, Gambian president’s spokeperson Amie Bojang-Sissoho told reporters at a bi-weekly media briefing that “The President has been informed that none of the victims admitted needed overseas medical treatment.”
Sources close to the victims told Eyeafrica TV that President Barrow’s personal doctor visited the victims and collected a report from them which he said he is taking to State House.
The community of Faraba last month clashed with Police Intervention Unit (PIU) personnel in protest against the presence of a construction company in the village called Julakay who claimed it was issued licence to mine sand there. Two men were killed in the incident and days later a third person who was also shot died.
Several others people, including PIU officers sustained injuries in the mishap.
President Adama Barrow visited the hospitalised victims at the country’s major teaching hospital in the Capital, Banjul where he condemned the killing, saying it is against everything that “we” fought for, as a nation.