EYEAFRICA TV: Beijing, China: China reported 16 new imported confirmed cases of COVID-19 disease infection from overseas on Thursday alone, warning that the risk is rising, said the National Health Commission (NHC).
NHC spokesman Mi Feng briefed the press the latest statistics and data of the COVID-19 outbreak on Friday in Beijing.
“From 00:00 to 24:00 on March 5, the 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps reported 143 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 30 deaths, with 29 in Hubei and one in Hainan Province. There were 102 new suspected cases on Thursday which also saw 1,681 more patients discharged from hospital, 5,457 close contacts discharged from medical observation, and the patients in critical conditions decreasing by 215,” he said.
“As of the end of March 5, according to the reports of 31 provincial-level regions and the Xinjiang Production and Construction Corps, China has 23,784 confirmed patients of COVID-19, of whom 5,737 were in serious conditions. A total of 53,726 patients have been discharged from hospital with the death toll reaching 3,042. China had reported a total of 80,552 confirmed cases of COVID-19 up to Thursday and now we have 482 suspected cases. We have traced 670,854 close contacts, and 29,896 of them are still under medical observation,” said Mi.
He also introduced the epidemic situation in Hubei, the epicenter of the outbreak. All of the 126 new confirmed cases were in Wuhan City yesterday. A total of 1,487 people, with 1,038 in Wuhan, were cured and discharged from hospital on Thursday which saw 29 new deaths, with 23 in Wuhan. The number of confirmed cases in Hubei stood at 22,695, with 20,115 in Wuhan, and 5,588 cases were in critical conditions in the province, with 5,208 in Wuhan.
The total number of patients discharged from hospitals in Hubei rose to 41,966 up to Thursday, with 27,354 in Wuhan, while deaths totaled 2,931, with 2,328 in Wuhan. A total of 67,592 cases of novel coronavirus have been confirmed of infection, with 49,797 in Wuhan.
The number of the suspected cases in Hubei increased by 43 on Thursday, with 42 in Wuhan, and there are still 285 suspected cases, with 232 in Wuhan City.
Mi added that by the end of Thursday, 158 confirmed cases had been reported in China’s Hong Kong and Macao Special Administrative Regions and Taiwan region, with 104 in Hong Kong, 10 in Macao and 44 in Taiwan.
“From 00:00 to 24:00 on March 5, 16 more imported cases were reported on Thursday, with 11 in Gansu Province, four in Beijing and one in Shanghai. A total of 36 imported cases had been reported by 24:00 Thursday,” said the spokesman.
A total of 17 new confirmed cases and 59 more suspected ones were reported in other provinces outside of Hubei. One death case was reported and the patients in critical conditions decreased by 15.
Mi stressed that 16 of the 17 new confirmed cases were imported ones, so people shouldn’t lower the vigilance against the epidemic and should strengthen the prevention and control measures. China will continue to deepen cooperation with the international community and share experience with the WHO and other countries to jointly combat the epidemic.