A Patient who presented mild pneumonia-like symptoms may become Gambia’s 4th COVID-19 case

EYEAFRICA TV: Banjul, The Gambia: Gambia’s confirmed COVID-19 pandemic cases still remain at three but a Bangladeshi man who traveled to the country with the second confirmed case may become the country’s fourth case-patient.

Director of health promotion and education of the ministry of health and social welfare, Modou Njie told journalists at a daily briefing on Thursday that the 47-year-old Bangladeshi man is a probable case who presented at the health facility with mild pneumonia like symptoms. He said samples were obtained from the man and they are now waiting for the results.

The man traveled into the country with the second confirmed case index, who passed away on Sunday.

The country registered its first case on a 28-year-old female Gambian who entered the country from London, United Kingdom on 15 March and went into self-isolation when she realised some abnormalities on her body. The second case is a Bangladeshi man who entered the country from Senegal and he was confirmed of contracting corona-virus after his death on Sunday, while the third case is a 71-year-old Gambian from France.

Mr Njie said the probable case started developing mild pneumonia like symptoms and samples were obtained on him and they are now waiting for the results.

He said the number of people under quarantine still remain at 177 with 310 people who completed follow-up, 173 contacts traced, 47 negative test results, 3 positive results and one probable case.  Mr Njie said the Bangladeshi man who died on Sunday have been given a befitting burial by The Gambia Red Cross Society team who have been trained on how to bury a corpse that died of corona virus.

According to him, the compound of the third case in Upper River Region community of Numuyel has been put on quarantine but refuted claims that the community has been put on lock-down.

Mr Njie also refuted reports of a corona virus case being confirmed at the Brikama district hospital, saying there is no testing facility in Brikama.  He appealed for people to show solidarity to each other during this trying time, saying there is a person who was tested negative of COVID-19 but the community is running away from him.

Lab technician at the ministry, Haruna Jallow said what made the Bangladeshi man a probable case is because the screening test shows that he is positive of COVID-19 but the confirmatory test says he is negative.

He said when they do the tests, they send it to MRC for the result, saying they are currently working with the MRC team and the ministry is working whatever it takes to have equipped facilities. He also gives an update on the situation of the probable case who traveled into the country with the Bangladeshi man who passed away on Sunday.

Last week, Gambia government approved a five hundred million emergency fund for corona-virus during a cabinet meeting and closed its borders and airspace as part of preventive and control mechanisms of spread of the virus which was criticized by the people, calling it a late decision.

SHARE ON

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram

Leave a Reply

avatar
1000
  Subscribe  
Notify of

Related Posts

Eye Africa TV
Scroll to Top