Xenophobia: Alleged video on S. Africans setting Nigeria High Commission ablaze confirmed false

EYEAFRICA TV: Banjul, The Gambia: Video of a 24 May deadly fire outbreak in a coaching centre in India’s Gujarat Surat that was backtracked by certain individuals and attributed to attack by South Africans on the Nigerian High Commission building in Pretoria, in the wake of the recent xenophobic attacks has been confirmed as false.
In the video, workers can be seeing throwing down themselves from top floor like birds to die while escaping the fire. The May fire incident that killed 19 students, was blamed on an illegal construction on the top floor of a multi-storey building.
Since the start of the recent xenophobic attacks on foreigners in South Africa on Sunday, different images and videos have been emerging, most of which could not be authenticated as factual.
South Africans claim that foreigners had taken jobs that should have been filled by locals. In 2017, violent anti-immigrant protests broke out in the capital Pretoria and in 2015, several people were killed, and thousands fled after xenophobic attacks across the country.


Alleged circulated video on South African burning Nigeria High Commission building
Prior to 1994, immigrants from elsewhere faced discrimination and even violence in South Africa and after majority rule in 1994, contrary to expectations, the incidence of xenophobia increased. Between 2000 and March 2008, at least 67 people died in what were identified as xenophobic attacks.
Both South Africa and Nigeria have temporarily closed their diplomatic missions in both countries, fearing reprisal attacks against citizens, an official told CNN.
The closures follow outbreaks of violence earlier this week in South Africa. At least five people were killed and 189 arrested during xenophobic attacks and looting in Johannesburg, Pretoria and elsewhere.
In January this year, a suspected thief was set on fire by an angry mob desperately runs around before collapsing and crawling on the ground as he tries and fails to put out the flames engulfing his whole body.
The disturbing scenes were recorded in the Hillbrow area of the city of Johannesburg in South Africa’s Gauteng Province after local residents accused two men of having stolen a woman’s handbag. Local police Captain Kay Makhubele told reporters residents had chased after the two men and “applied mob justice.”

0 0 vote
Article Rating

SHARE ON

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on telegram
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
0 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Related Posts

Eye Africa TV
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x
Scroll to Top